The audio is also on our Podcast – subscribe on Apple here & on all the other platforms here.
Jane (@JVM) is a TV broadcaster, author, journalist & now CEO of the animal rights non-profit Jane Unchained. She has written four books, two of which were NY Times bestsellers.
In these Sentientist Conversations we talk about the two most important questions: “what’s real?” & “what matters?” Sentientism is “evidence, reason & compassion for all sentient beings.”
- Jane’s career in media & journalism & now running a non-profit
- Countdown to Year Zero & making the world vegan by 2026
- Near death experiences
- Growing up in “showbiz” New York with Puerto Rican/Irish parents
- Jane’s mother gave up meat early
- Thinking the family was vegetarian but eating pescetarian
- Going to different churches as an adventure, but when things got serious, going back to Catholicism
- Dabbling rather than strong religiosity
- “Let your conscience be your guide”
- We all know what’s wrong and right. The role of guilt, shame & remorse
- Recovering from alcoholism. 26 years sober!
- Praying every morning “Turn it over – seek guidance”. Making the bed every day
- “We don’t need to have a definition of a higher power – it’s just not me”
- Ego & self-centredness is the source of so many wrongs
- Societal forces claiming that “some suffering doesn’t count” are behind most evils. Human & animal
- People talking about “peace & love, Ahimsa & loving animals”, then “ordering the hit on those animals” by buying products made from them
- The cruelty we inflict on animals is “complete self sabotage”
- “We think eating animals is our solution when it’s our problem”
- “My worst day as a vegan is better than my worst day torturing animals”
- “Breaking through the wall of denial”
- Watching video of vicious experiments on primates in 1980 and the founding of PETA
- Interviewing Howard Lyman, the “Mad Cowboy” after he had been on Oprah exposing cattle ranching
- Eating dairy until being told it’s “Liquid Meat!” then going vegan ~23 yrs ago
- Thank you for shaming me into going vegan! “I might not have heard it otherwise!”
- If you love animals, take care of your addictions first
- Getting sober gave me more time for activism
- Refusing to cover news stories that trivialised animal abuse
- Interviewing Robert Redford and other celebs about animal causes
- Using journalism to talk about animal rights
- Doing a hard-core weekly animal activism segment on CNN Headline News
- Interviewing Josh Tetrick and other CEOs/activists
- Nudging the culture through global media
- Coming out as gay
- Becoming “Jane Unchained” & being free to join protests
- Seeing the end of Ringling’s Circus due to campaigns
- Of course wild animal suffering matters too
- The harm animal agri causes even to wild animals
- Even Bill Gates sees we need to switch
- We need to “punch holes through denial”
- Environmental & conservation groups are in denial because they’re eating animals
- We’re all hypocrites to some extent. There is no perfection
- If conservation groups wouldn’t burn coal in the foyer at their conferences, why would they serve animal food?
- You can’t lead if you’re not willing to change yourself
- Media is funded by animal foods & pharma industries
- “Farm animals are eating nearly all of the food!”
- Zoonotic disease: “We have 80 wet markets in NY City alone”
- Carole Raphaelle-Davis!
- “Whatever your role or skills you can use it to help animals”
- Some seemed more willing to eat BeyondMeat because the stock was doing well!
- “The cultural shift is happening fast now”
- Even the big meat companies are investing in alternatives
- Governments have been co-opted by animal ag
- Kamala Harris & Cory Booker
- Instead of subsidising animal ag, fund a #JustTransition
- Maybe fast growing economies will leap-frog Western economies re: plant-based protein sources
- Support Mercy for Animals, animal sanctuaries, PETA, “hire a vegan handyman!”
- Animal ag sexually violates animals. How can a feminist support that?
- Animal ag exploits the poorest & most marginalised communities. There are no slaughterhouses on Park Avenue!
- Jon Lewis’ “They’re trying to kill us” documentary
- Defending your right to animal products is self-sabotage
- Maybe climate change will bring us together. We’re all earthlings
- Ending animal agri will mark the evolution of humanity
- The next 6 years could be the most important years in the history of humankind.
Sentientism is “Evidence, reason & compassion for all sentient beings.” More at Sentientism.info.
Join Jane on our “I’m a Sentientist wall” using this simple form.
Everyone interested, Sentientist or not, is welcome to join our groups. Our main one is here on FaceBook.
Thanks, Graham for the post-prod.